If you’re looking for a way to experience Hebrew chanting, you can attend a chant circle led by Kol Zimra alumni.
Chant Circles in the US
- New York, NY: Chant Circles in Manhattan. For information, visit Chant Circles. Led by Rabbi Shoshana Mitrani-Knapp.
- Branford, CT: PNAI shORe Chant Circle meets monthly on the second Shabbat of the month. Led by Rayzl Feuer (email@example.com).
- Providence, RI: Soulful Shabbat, dedicated to reinvigorating Jewish prayer with silence, chanting, traditional davvening, and movement, meets at Temple Emanu-El on the third Saturday of every month from Sept to June. Chanting and drumming start at 9:30 am; the services start at 10 am. Led by Rabbi Alan Flam and Kol Zimra alumni Judy Kaye and Bruce Phillips. Contact Bruce Phillips (DrBPhillips18@gmail.com) for more information.
- Jamaica Plain, MA (Boston area): Chant and meditation group meets once a month. Led by Tracy Rich (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Peabody, MA: Chanting For Life usually meets on the last Thursday of each month from 7-8pm at the Aviv Centers For Living. (Visit http://www.chelseajewish.org/.) Led by Cheryl Miller (email@example.com).
- Westborough, MA: En-CHANT-ment Circle meets on the last Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm at Congregation B’nai Shalom. Led by Eva Friedner (firstname.lastname@example.org or 508/212-9460).
- Bethesda, MD: Opening the Heart Chant Circle/Spirit Spa generally held on the second Shabbat of the month from 4:30-6pm at Bethesda Jewish Congregation. Led by Yaffah Schnitzer (email@example.com).
- Bethesda, MD: Makom@AS through the Adat Shalom congregation sponsors Makom Sacred Hebrew Chanting led by Paul (Pesach) Zeitz on a quarterly basis in tandem with festivals or key events. Please contact Pesach at firstname.lastname@example.org for schedule of chant opportunities.
- Pittsburgh, PA: Tikkun Chant Circle meets monthly. For details see the Hebrew Chant site. Led by David Goldstein.
- Philadelphia, PA: A closed group for KZ alumni and KZ students usually meets the third Sunday of the month from 7-8:30pm at Mishkan Shalom. To confirm the date, contact Andrea Madden (email@example.com). Led by various chant leaders.
- Philadelphia, PA: Rosh Hodesh Celebrations (chant-filled rituals for all who welcome the Divine Feminine into our lives) meet monthly from 7-8:30pm at Mishkan Shalom Synagogue. Led by Shoshana Bricklin, Wendy Galson, and Susan Windle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Philadelphia, PA: Kol D’mamah Jewish Meditation Group at the Germantown Jewish Centre. Meets each Tuesday from 9-9:40am in the Quitman Library. Includes Hebrew chant, dvar torah, and 20 minutes of silence. Led by Rabbi Malkah Binah Klein (email@example.com).
- Philadelphia, PA: Parashat HaShavuah/Chanting group meets 2-3 times a month on Thursday mornings from 8:00-8:45am. Led by Juliet Spitzer at her home. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Mount Holly, NJ: Hebrew Chant Group meets on the first Sunday from 1-2pm at Temple Har Zion. For information, download the Har Zion Chant Group flyer. Led by Dee (email@example.com).
- Montclair, NJ: Hebrew chanting occurs on the first Shabbat from 9-10am at Bnai Keshet Synagogue. Check the Bnai Keshet calendar to verify. Led by Melissa Schaffer.
- Charlottesville, VA: Soul Journeys Chant Circle meets the first Shabbat of each month. Led by Ariel Lippman (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prahaladan Mandelkorn. (Website in progress.)
- Orlando, FL: CRJ Sacred Chant Circle meets locally. For dates, time and locations write to email@example.com. Led by Shira Orit.
- Fairfield, IA: Chantscendental Heartland Circle meets every other Sunday evening. Led by Marci Freeman (firstname.lastname@example.org). (Website in progress.)
- Minneapolis, MN: Jewish Women’s Sacred Circle meets monthly for Shaharit and Rosh Chodesh at Makom Shalom. See the website for details. Led by Kohenet Sharon Jaffe (email@example.com).
- Minneapolis, MN: Chant circle meets the 1st Tuesday of the month from 6:30-8pm at Beth El Synagogue. Led by Cantor Audrey Abrams (952/873-7317 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Albuquerque, NM: EnCHANTed Circle generally meets monthly on the second Wednesday from 7:30-9pm at Nahalat Shalom. Led by Rabbi Shefa Gold (Contact Us) or, occasionally, by local KZ alumni.
- Albuquerque, NM: Chanting Kabbalat Shabbat service meets monthly usually on the fourth Friday starting from 7:30pm at Nahalat Shalom. Led by Miryam Levy, Judy Brown, and Sofieshefia Stephanie Cohen.
- Lake Oswego, OR: Chantlings davvening-meditation group is the last Sunday of the month, 11am-noon. Led by Linda Zahavi (email@example.com).
- Ashland, OR: Hebrew chant group usually meets monthly on the fourth Sunday from 2-3:30pm at Havurah Shir Hadash. Led by Elizabeth Markell (firstname.lastname@example.org or 541/778-6155). Contact Elizabeth to confirm.
- Cotati, CA: Homecomings Healing Chant Circles. Visit the website for details. Led by Ellen Solot.
- Davis, CA: Heart and Spirit Chant Circle held generally on the fourth Monday of every month from 7-8:45pm at Congregation Bet Haverim. Led by Hallie Morrow (530/400-7071 or email@example.com) and Carrie Shepard (530/400-3747 or firstname.lastname@example.org). (They also lead a chant service on the third Shabbat morning of most months.)
- Lafayette, CA (east of Berkeley): Sacred Chant and Healing Circle meets monthly usually on the second Monday from 7-8pm at Temple Isaiah. For the current schedule, visit the Sacred Hebrew Chant site. Led by Jeanette Gross (email@example.com). (Jeanette often co-leads a monthly Mussar and Meditation Shabbat Morning Service at Temple Isaiah with Rabbi Judy Shanks on the first Saturday at 10:30am.)
- Los Angeles, CA: Chant & Meditation Circle meets quarterly (and for workshops and holidays) in a private home on Monday evenings. Led by Evelyn Baron (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Pasadena, CA: Shirat HaLev Chant Circle meets usually monthly on a weekday evening from 7-8 pm. Led by Bhavani Mann (email@example.com or 503/750-0120).
- Sebastopol, CA: Sacred Hebrew Chanting meets weekly on Monday mornings from 9-10am. (It meets most Mondays, but the day of the week may change later in the summer.) For information, see Monday Morning Chanting. Led by Rabbi Daria Jacobs-Velde (RabbiDaria@gmail.com).